Thursday, November 22, 2012

Splendid

I left home on Thursday at 4.25 p.m. to reach Whalley Range for 7.00 p.m. Due to red lights and more red lights, 40 mph restrictions on the M62 for all of the last mile on it, driving rain and wind we reached the English Martyrs church at 7.27 p.m. This left me three minutes to get my cassock and cotta on and seize the thurible, which I had been asked to attend to when I was asked to step in for an absent member of the Salford team a couple of weeks ago.
There had been adoration and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament earlier and the calm atmosphere and smell of incense calmed me almost immediately and the Mass began. The polyphonic piece which accompanied the entrance procession and subsequent mix of plainsong and polyphony was thoroughly entrancing and made for a profoundly spiritual occasion. The choir sang beautifully and Fr. Marlor executed the pace with acute reverence.
By the time we reached the epistle, the nightmare journey could have been a hundred years away. The return journey was a doddle.
Thanks to all concerned.